Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pray

There are many things you can find yourself praying for.  Some pray to finally win the Mega Million and pull off the most epic way of quitting their jobs.  Some just might be praying to make it through the family holiday meal without a fight.  Sometimes you pray to get home safely.  I found myself in the middle of our Eat, Pray, Love California trip with my loved ones around me for prayer to be a bit necessary.  During the Easter Season, Emily, Elle, and I were all in line with plenty of our family's Easter Traditions.  First comes love, then comes fighting, then comes talking behind your family's back.  I'm sure that many are accustomed to this family tradition.  This year, I found my small family in a civil war, with casualties on both sides and plenty of friendly fire.  The bonus for me this year were the chocolate eggs.  

Most traditional Family Holidays start with a prayer, and this Easter is was said by my 88 year old grandfather.  Now this is a wise man who speaks four languages, and was a High School Latin teacher for 38 years.  He had plenty of time to perfect the language of prayer.  Over the years his prayers have started  to sound a bit like the daily meetings you can spectate at your local McDonald's between the hours of 6:00am and 10:30am.  This is where every old person, male or female, within a 2 mile radius over the age of 70 take part in their hour long discussions with conversations that drive around in circles.   Before we ate our Easter Feast, my whole family and myself were taken hostage by my wonderful grandfather, for perhaps, his longest prayer to date.  With his faith and concentration, he continued on praying through two crying babies, my mother's coughing attack, and my sister's and my snickering.  The minutes on the clock continued in long and devoted prayer with no end in sight.  Is it wrong to pray for a prayer to end?  I'm sure I was tempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment